Brown Sound In A Box version 2 (BSIAB2) is an excellent distortion pedal designed by Ed Guidry. Based on the AMZ MiniBooster cascading work done by Jack Orman and further refined by Aron Nelson and Doug Hammond.
This is one of the best heavy Marshall-type distortion boxes that we’ve heard and it also performs very well on low drive as you can hear at the beginning of the sound sample below.
- General Build Instructions
- BSIAB2 Build Instructions
- BSIAB2 Bill of Materials
- BSIAB2 Schematic
- BSIAB2 Parts Layout and Wiring Diagram
- BSIAB2 Modifications Notes
- BSIAB2 Ready-For-Transfer Printed Circuit Board Layout For use only if you are a complete DIY person who wants to etch and drill your own PCB. Otherwise, we recommend you ignore this PCB mask and buy the Ready-to-Solder Printed Circuit Board or Complete Kit from the links below.
Here is a diagram for the modification of adding a “Contour” control. This mod, you replace R7 with a 5k6 resistor and a 100k pot. This allows you to dial in some more tone variations.
Buy a BSIAB2 Complete Kit. Includes all the parts and materials you need to build one, all for about the price you would pay for a PCB and parts.
Would you like a Ready to Solder Circuit Board for this project? Note: If you buy the kit, the Ready-to-Solder Circuit Board (RTS PCB) is included in the kit. You do not need to purchase this RTS PCB if you buy the kit.